Friday, August 22, 2008

HAND OF THE DAY: 08.22.08

I haven't been able to repeat my success with HORSE since the big day but today I was able to pull in another $1400 with a big NLHE session. It was an eight-handed table at the $3/6 level. I lost a chunk of my initial buy-in the moment I sat down with 8-8 against an all-in from a shorty with A-K. Then after another blow, I bought in for another $240 and built it past $2k before retiring. I actually won a $390 pot with a straight flush against a guy who flopped a set. I made the hand on the turn so it's a shame he didn't fill up on the river, or better yet, hit that final four. It would have been March Madness in late August but even so, he still paid off a $123 bet on the river with the straight and the flush heavy board.

Today's Hand of the Day was that early blow I referenced earlier. Again, I had 8-8, this time in third position with $3/6 blinds. I open-raised to $15 and the next three players all elected to call, as did the big blind for a $78 pot. I was pretty much done with the hand unless I fell in love with the flop.

FLOP: Kd-7s-3h
ACTION: * / * / * / * / *
ANALYSIS: There's a chance my eights are good but with three players left to act behind me, I am content to check/fold. When nobody bets, I become a believer in my hand.

TURN: Kd-7s-3h / 5h
ACTION: B ($60) / C / x / x / x
ANALYSIS: After a table full of checkers on the flop, the big blind decides he has A-K on the turn when a brick falls. I've seen this ruse before and I'm not buying it. He was getting the pot odds preflop to play anything so although he might have just made two pair or a straight, I'm leaning towards thinking he picked up a heart draw or he's sitting on a vulnerable pair of sevens. I really should raise here and try to end it. In my head, I'm thinking someone behind me may have me beat with a higher pair, so I just call, hoping to check it down. Thinking back on it now, if somebody did have a higher pair than mine, then a raise is even more indicated to ensure that I convince that guy to fold. I make the timid call instead, believing I have the best hand and hoping to take it down without further confrontation.

RIVER: Kd-7s-3h / 5h / 6c
ACTION: B ($132) / C
ANALYSIS: I was expecting him to give up on the river, especially when the scare card for the straight falls. He not only bets the scare card but puts in a healthy amount. I should fold my second pair but I'm curious. I just don't think he has a four so the only reason for such an aggressive bet out of position is because he needs me to fold. I don't think he bets two pair in this spot so either he's got some sort of 5-4 or he's got nothing. My curious nature gets the best of me and I call. He shows 9h-8h, aka The Nuts. Oh, it all makes perfect sense now. My instincts were good here but my luck was bad.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home