Sunday, September 07, 2008

HAND OF THE DAY: 09.06.08

$109 MTT; I got some chips early, stalled for awhile, then when the antes kicked in, I tried to steal whenever the situation looked decent. Moments ago, I open-raised from the small blind then called a reraise with K-6. I got lucky enough to hit trip sixes on the flop and felted the big blind who had Q-Q for a $12k pot. Two hands later, with the player on the button sitting out, I open-raise with J-9 and get called by the small blind who has a $14k stack:

POT: $2325
FLOP: Td-8c-7c
ACTION: B ($1200) / R ($3600) / R ($12.2k all-in) / C
ANALYSIS: Okay, nothing terribly surprising here as the hand plays itself when you flop the joint. The surprising thing is that my opponent shows A-K. Rather than pop it up preflop, he decides to slowplay Big Slick. I suppose if I have A-J and an ace comes, then he looks like a genius when we get into a raising war. When he misses the flop, however, I think his hand plays better as a check-raise than a lead-out. Once I raise him, with that board, he should have cursed his luck and mucked. Thankfully for me, he decided to represent a monster while I was harboring the nuts. It goes to show you that a big part of winning poker is just avoiding the total collapse of reason. I am guilty of making bad bluffs often at this stage in tournaments. I usually wind up muttering to myself "bluff into weakness, not strength." This player had enough chips to coast for awhile. It is okay to sometimes slowplay big cards in a situation where you are not expected to have such a strong hand, but you must be prepared to get away cheaply if the other guy indicates that he's got ace-high beat. I benefitted by the combination fortuitous flop and opponent's catastophic blunder, vaulting me into the chip lead.

I went on to make the final table as the chip leader. I lost a few hands in a row and became the short stack but I never gave up and I waited for my rush. Two hands in particular helped me out tremendously: I min-raised from utg with A-A and got two callers. I flopped a set and waited until the turn to make my move. It wouldn't have mattered as one of my opponents had flopped an underset so it was just a matter of time until the chips went in. Later, with five players remaining, I called an all-in and was delighted to have him dominated A-9 > A-7. The flop came 7-5-2 and I figured my luck had run out until the 6/8 peeled off to bring justice. I had more than half the chips four-handed and the same scenario played out when I busted the fourth guy. I had the A-8 > A-6 and he flopped the pair before I rivered the straight. First you have to play perfectly, then you have to avoid getting unlucky. It was all working for me during this event. I went into heads-up play with a modest chip lead. I lost the lead then got it back, then at 2:30 AM PST, we decided to chop it up evenly: $8560.

3 Comments:

At 4:03 PM, September 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i offically know that players on ps and every site for sure can access your whole cards its so obvious. poker stars is rigged its so obvious i cant be that unlucky to go in with best hand that many times and get outdrawn its mathematically impossible. im done with online poker until the get the laws intact its too fishy i suggest u save ur money seeg its way to unrealistic to waste ur valuable time on. jeffa

 
At 4:24 PM, September 07, 2008, Blogger Dude said...

That's awfully cynical, Jeff. I'm not always convinced they can't see my hole cards but I get suspicious on hero calls not draw outs because even those with access can't tell what's coming next.

 
At 10:33 PM, September 07, 2008, Anonymous Anonymous said...

i know i am being cynical, but it just gets so damn frustrating u know. with a 8200 cash its hard to be cynical. mabye im just a whiner. gl bro hope to see u on the felt again. good times

 

Post a Comment

<< Home