Friday, May 07, 2004

STILL PLAYING TOURNEYS

I've had no luck since my big win. Lately, I had been reverting back to my old risky ways of calling all in bets that I should not be calling. I have discovered a direct correlation between the all in bet and the time duration of the game at the point of the all in bet. Early on, some players are thinking they want to double up and coast or get out early. I have been busting these guys, but later in the game, when players go all in, I have been slow to realize that I am beat. Too often I think it's a steal attempt, and if it's past the one hour mark, then I am invariably wrong.

Last night, I was going good, but my luck turned in a big hurry and I finished out of the money at 16. I busted a few guys early, and I was the chip leader at the one hour point. I played very conservatively during the second hour, holding my wealth, and was never out of the top four. Finally, with $20k in chips, I trapped an opponent into going all in with his pocket tens while I held pocket jacks. He caught a ten on the river, and I was down to $7k.

Not long after, I went all in with 66 hoping to win preflop. The chip leader played me with his AQ. It was a race situation, but still, I was all in with the best of it, so that's all I can ask for. I couldn't see his cards, but when the flop came with a K and a J, I was worried. I thought there was a good chance he had AQ and I was still in it. Just as I formulated this thought, the turn brought a ten, and I knew I was done for. I hoped against hope that he had a pair of fours, but I knew I was beat, and sure enough, I saw the AQ. From two hours worth of big guy to two hours wasted in the span of three hands. At least I didn't lose stupidly. Both times, I was engaged in an all in battle while holding the best cards. I can't control luck once my chips are in the middle.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home