Monday, May 17, 2004

PRE-FLOP RAISING AND WHAT TO DO WHEN YOU HAVE THE BEST OF IT

Now that I have logged 10,000 PL hands, I have noticed that my pre-flop raises are respected much more than the other guys. My pre-flop raise percentage is around 4%. It was a shame to see my AA win $6 so I decided to use the respect to pre-flop raise with a bigger variety of hands, especially in an uncalled pot. It has helped me steal the blinds and bet out rags after the flop. And even bet out hands against draws. In short, it has become a steady stream of income.

Last Night I held AJs and raised the pot amount got and 5 callers. The flop came AT5. I bet the pot again (with timidity) and only one guy called. I had already noticed the opponent as a calling station, but he had position on me so I decided to bet out the turn and river rather than let him come after me. Sure enough, the scrub played A9 all the way hoping that I had pre-flopped raised with KK. It was a big win (pot over $200, less than half was mine) and a slight gamble, but I was almost sure he would have raised me with AK, AT or A5 so I kept it up. The river bet was the end of my bankroll (having cashed out the rest for Vegas) and it was sweet to see that he kept with the hand and I raked $236.

AND WHAT HAPPENS TO GAMBLERS. . .

After winning with the AJ I layed low for 20 minutes. I spent the time folding cards and folding laundry. Finally, I got J8 on the little blind and played the thing for $1.

5 callers saw the flop come 769: I liked the draw quite a bit. Not only was it open ended, but if a ten hit I would have the added advantage of the nut J. It was checked around to the button who bet $4. One fold, I called, another fold and the last guy raised the pot to $29. The original bettor called giving me a shot at $70 for $29. It still wasn't the best odds, but with two players married to the pot I figured the implied odds were pretty good if I hit.

The turn paired the 7s: I check. The raiser from before bet $65 and all in. The button raised to $67 and all in. I'm the only one left with chips. Now I'm getting $230 for my $67 call -- Almost 4-1. The pot is too big to fold.

The river produces a big fat T -- PAPA!: I was counting the chips when the stack was raked toward the original bettor who flopped trips and got his boat on the turn. The original raiser was a dummy who limped in with his pocket Queens. He wound up being beat in two places.

WHERE DID I GO WRONG?

After the board paired on the turn I should have known to get off the hand. Of course, the orginal raiser could have had anything, but the caller (and winner) had to have something pretty good. Not really. I've seen guys play A9 to the river with only top pair. Anyway, the pair of 7s on the board should have jolted me out my dreams of riches. But then again, these guys play anything. The result is that I gave away most of the what the A9 guy was so happy to give me.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home